What are cookies?
Cookies do not collect information that could identify a user personally, unless a login is required to access an account. Website visitors do not need to login to view the https://christletonorchardrange.co.uk website.
There are different types of cookies which can be used at any time depending on what information the company needs to improve the site:
- Session cookies Session cookies track user movement from page to page – they remember any information provided by the user to prevent repetition of inputting details. They help speed up the navigation of the website and are automatically deleted when the web browser is closed down.
- Persistent/permanent cookies: These cookies measure how often a user visits and also remembers preferences and settings to speed up and enhance the user experience of the website each time it is visited. These cookies are not deleted when the browser is closed.
- Anonymous permanent cookies these cookies gather web statistics but don’t gather information which can personally identify the user. The information from these cookies is used to help improve the online experience of the website by making it faster and easier to navigate.
- Login Cookies individually identify users by their login details. Users are, in this instance, Administrator level access user(s) only.
Other Types of Cookies:
Third party cookies: These cookies are set by another company such as Analytics by Google, which is a tool that collects website data for analytical purposes. They track user behaviour such as which pages are most commonly viewed, how many users visited the website, entry and exit pages, number of page views and also which browsers were used. They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as viewing a video or commenting on a blog.
- Traffic log cookies: are used to gain analytical information such as this. It helps website owners analyse what works well, what doesn’t and what potential customers might want. This information also helps to anticipate user needs in order to provide better products and services.
- First party cookies: These cookies are set by the website owners and they gather information about the user by collecting personal data such as name and job title, contact information including email address, demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests and other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers. These cookies activate when a user logs into their account and helps to manage their logged in session. This cookie is deleted from the device when the browser is closed.
- Social Media Cookies: Many websites contain social media portals including Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Youtube, Google+ etc. These are external social media websites and therefore may have content embedded in these links.
How long do cookies last?
Each cookie has an expiration date and when visiting a website for the first time, a web server sends a cookie and requests the user’s browser keeps that particular cookie for a specific period of time. Cookies can expire within a few minutes, hours, days or even years in the future.
How to opt out of cookies
It’s important to note that cookies are harmless and are used to help improve website functionality and make the user experience better, however you can block cookies at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, disabling cookies may result in the user experiencing limited functionality of the website.
Information about managing cookies can be found here